6 Tips for Bajans studying abroad from Minister Santia Bradshaw
Barbados Communiy College Exhibition winner Naresa Mcrwray-Williams being congratulated by Minister Santia Bradshaw.
Santia Bradshaw wants Barbadian students leaving the island to pursue their studies and other endeavours, to never forget their culture.
The new Minister of Education has been there, done that, in terms of studying abroad and as she wished this years 55 Barbados scholarship and exhibition winners well, she gave them a few tips as well.
With one of the 55 Scholarship and Exhibition winners set to start her studies at the University of Nottingham in the United Kingdom, Bradshaw told her, that they now have something in common, as that is the university she too attended.
Speaking to Loop News after the announcement ceremony held on Friday, in the Auditorium of the Erdiston Teachers’ Training College, she advised students studying overseas to:
1. “Try not to lose your identity. Remember who you are, where you come from.”
2. Be an ambassador for Barbados. “Always try to let the rest of the world know about Barbados.”
3. “Try to look up to some of the people from Barbados who have done well; see them as role models.”
4. “Work hard and make Barbados proud.”
5. “Be mindful, you’re in different environment, in a lot of cases you don’t have your parents there to support you; integrate yourself into the community of students who almost become a kind of extended family. Embrace other cultures and share yours as well.”
6. "Give back!"
Bradshaw told this year’s Scholarship and Exhibition winners, and all graduates embarking on university study now: “The journey now begins because this is a new chapter.”
And she urged, “It is you who will have the opportunity to write the future chapters on the pages of history of this island.”
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop