Monday 13 July, 2020

Barbados COVID-19 patients showing 'mild symptoms'

Dr Anton Best (left) and Health Minister, Jeffrey Bostic (right )

Dr Anton Best (left) and Health Minister, Jeffrey Bostic (right )

The people of Barbados received news on Tuesday that there were two confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and since then, those persons have been placed in isolation at one of the facilities on the island. 

During a daily update from the Ministry of Health, Minister, Jeffrey Bostic and Acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr Anton Best provided the media with information regarding the status of the patients who recently tested positive for COVID-19. 

Speaking from Illaro Court on the evening of Wednesday, March 18, 2020, Dr Best said the two patients, a 48-year-old visitor to the island and a 39-year-old Barbadian, are being monitored closely by health officials. 

“The cases are mild. One of the cases has bronchial asthma, this is something they had since they were a child.”

He revealed one other person had been placed in quarantine since Tuesday. This action was taken as it was discovered, through contact tracing, that this person may have come into contact with the two persons who tested positive. 

“That person needed to be in the facility and watched. A few more people are under self-quarantine. We have a public health team who makes contact on a daily basis ... and asking questions about the development of the symptoms.

These are people that we aren’t categorizing as high risk in terms of the likelihood that they have COVID-19. The persons who are in quarantine are usually asymptomatic," the senior medical expert revealed. 

Minister Bostic said the process of contract tracing started from Tuesday.

“Contact tracing has begun and started from yesterday… we have identified the people we need to approach. We would have asked those persons if they had any symptoms of COVID-19. At least one of those persons who we identified through contact tracing has been tested," the Minister outlined. 

Bostic said screening will continue at the island's ports of entry and he urged Barbadians to continue to practice good hygiene and call the hotline if they have any concerns. The number is 536-4500. 

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: