Sunday 27 September, 2020

BVI: $3M allocated to fund coronavirus preparedness efforts

[iStock.com/wilpunt]

[iStock.com/wilpunt]

The British Virgin Islands has joined countless other territories in ramping up its attempts to protect citizens from the fast-spreading coronavirus.

Minister of Health and Social Development, the Honourable Carvin Malone said the government is racing to complete work on sections of the Dr D Orlando Smith Hospital, identified as treatment areas for those suspected of having the virus.

While speaking on a local talk-show he said “We have two floors of the Major Peebles Wing of the hospital, we have the plans in place now. The team has been working over the weekend to ensure that the rooms can be retrofitted so we can have an isolation area.”

Minister Malone said once completed, the facility will be able to house 20 to 24 patients.

Earlier this month, the BVI Health Minister revealed that $3million in special funding was approved for coronavirus preparedness and containment efforts.

He said the authorities have also enhanced health surveillance, increased sanitation measures and passenger screening and staff manning the BVIs ports of entry have been trained.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: