Sunday 31 May, 2020

Chefette helped Barbados tackle COVID-19 before closing its doors

Barbados Defence Force rep collects 6,000 meals donated by Chefette for the frontline essential workers.

Barbados Defence Force rep collects 6,000 meals donated by Chefette for the frontline essential workers.

Chefette Restaurants has opened 15 sets of doors across Barbados, and tomorrow it will close them all in compliance with the Government's new restrictions for restaurants due to the spread of the novel coronavirus locally.

Related Article

Restaurant closures are but one of the measures in Barbados' survival plan to reduce, manage and contain cases on COVID-19 on island. To date, Barbados has 46 COVID-positive patients.

Effective April 3, at 5 pm, under the Emergency Management (COVID-19) Curfew (NO. 2) Directive, 2020, restaurants which fall under the category of non-essential services, shall remain closed until April 15. Unless another Directive is issued, restaurants should resume serving the public from the morning of April 15, 2020.

In a social media post, Chefette announced:

"In light of the latest COVID-19 update, we are temporarily closing all branches until April 15, 2020. We sincerely look forward to serving you in the near future. Stay safe Barbados and continue to practice #SocialDistancing"

In six short hours, close to 1,500 persons liked the post.

But before its closure, a week ago Chefette announced that it had donated BBD $100,000 (USD $50,000) towards the Government's Barbados Adopt a Family Programme to assist 55 families during these challenging times. 

And the post was captioned: 'We’re in this together #OneBigChefetteFamily' 

 

Chefette has been complying with each update as Barbados transitioned from Stage 0 to Stage 1, 2 and 3 in its COVID-19 Response Plan. 

On March 22, when gatherings were banned, Chefette took the decision to suspend indoor-dining to safeguard their staff and customers, and within days they launched their new curbside pickup service.

Loop Business asked Chefette Restaurants Ltd Managing Director Ryan Haloute how was it making the switch. He said: 

"Overall, we were very pleased to be able to launch the Curbside Pickup last week to adapt very quickly to the current situation in the island and offer this service through our Online payment from our Website."

Then on Wednesday (April 1) after more stringent measures were implemented, despite the hours of operation being reduced further with the island's first curfew, Chefette stepped up to the plate once more.

Chefette was "pleased" to donate 6,000 meals to frontline personnel who are managing the country through the COVID-19 virus. The caption read: 'We're happy to help where we can. We’re all in this together #OneBigChefetteFamily #SocialDistancing". Over 4,500 people liked this Instagram post.

With its 'We'll be back April 15, 2020' poster triggering crying emojis from many, Loop asked Haloute if on their return Bajans could hope for a delivery service, to which he said, "[I] Prefer to wait until we reopen and then we can focus on what we will be doing then."

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: