Wednesday 2 December, 2020

COVID-19: Elephant Man says sorry after false declaration allegation

Screengrab of a video showing Elephant Man apologising for what he called a "misunderstanding" over whether he made a false declaration after returning from a European tour.

Screengrab of a video showing Elephant Man apologising for what he called a "misunderstanding" over whether he made a false declaration after returning from a European tour.

Dancehall artiste Elephant Man has apologised to the people of Jamaica over what he called a "misunderstanding" over whether he made a false declaration that he had not travelled to a European country which was on the banned list of countries with an outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

"I really, really sincerely apologise to the workers at the Sangsters International airport, the Ministry of Health and the people of Jamaica. I also want to apologise for any misunderstanding in any way I incorrectly completed the form," Elephant Man said in a video posted to his social media pages.

He explained: "After my long journey, I put the last country I arrived from as opposed to all the countries I attended in the last six weeks. Sorry for that, mi drop asleep, yu dun know. I have spoken to the authorities and I am self quarantined at home and I have not left my home since. I ask for your complete understanding...I would never intentionally put anyone life at risk." 

Checks with websites showing booking dates for Elephant Man reportedly show him with gigs for Italy and Germany. The number of deaths from coronavirus in Italy spiked by 475 on Wednesday to nearly 3,000 - the biggest increase since the outbreak. There are a total of 35,713 confirmed cases in the country, with more than 4,000 having successfully recovered. Germany has over 13,000 cases with 33 deaths. 

Another dancehall entertainer, Rygin King, who was on the same flight from Europe as Elephant Man, had earlier denied that he made a false declaration in relation to the trip.

The Government has reported that Jamaica has recorded its first death from the coronavirus (COVID-19), a 79-year-old male from Clarendon with a travel history to New York.

Jamaica has a total of 15 coronavirus cases and health authorities are expecting the results of six additional tests Thursday.

Five cases have since been linked to the first patient. Some 258 persons have come into Jamaica from a country of interest since January 31.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: