COVID-19: Management and Response Plans by Stage
There are four stages from zero to four as it relates to preparations, response and management of COVID-19.
General Preparedness: This is the response to anticipation of a pandemic period.
Stage 0: No COVID-19 cases have been detected in Barbados.
- Enhanced surveillance at Ports of Entry.
- Continued engagement and sensitisation of general population and strategic stakeholders.
- Activation of the Health Emergency Operations Centre.
- Preparation of quarantine facility and isolation facility.
- Reviewing and enhancing the National Pandemic Preparedness Plan.
- Briefing of National Emergency Operations Centre Sensitization.
- Identification by various sectors of vulnerable operations and persons
- Development of Continuity Plans for Government and the Private Sector.
Stage 1: Isolated case of COVID-19 detected in Barbados
- Activation of National Emergency Operations Centre for national preparedness
- Activation of Isolation Centre.
- Preparation of severe treatment facility and Paragon, St. Lucy District Hospital or Field Medical Hospital for screening, quarantine and isolation.
- Reconfiguring of polyclinics to facilitate local screening.
- Advice on limiting mass gathering to reduce risk for local spread.
Stage 2: Confirmed human-to-human spread of COVID-19 in Barbados.
- Small clusters in Barbados (≤ 25 cases) with limited human-to-human spread, but spread is highly localized.
- Continued sensitisation of general public.
- Standing up of one supplementary facility for moderate cases requiring hospitalisation (schools and Field Medical Hospital.
- Designated additional capacity for screening (churches, community centres,
Stage 3: Large clusters of COVID-19 human to human spread.
- Increased and sustained transmission in the general population
- Evidence of widespread locally and health services are overwhelmed (increase in visits of more than 10%) - State of Emergency Declared.
- Cabinet members sequestered (isolated).
- Additional supplementary hospitalisation facilities for moderate cases deployed. Prohibiting mass gatherings.
- Persons without respiratory distress to self-isolate.
- Recommend that ill workers get 5-7 days without sick leave form.