COVID-19 scare at NAB Head Office not stopping Home Help Programme
Created : 29 April 2020
Minister of People Empowerment and Elder Affairs, Cynthia Forde
Barbados' Home Help Programme is not closed.
The announcement comes after six workers out of the 255-member staff have tested positive so far, including a worker in the Home Help Programme.
This Programme provides daily support to senior citizens and other vulnerable persons in Barbados remains operational.
Minister of People Empowerment and Elder Affairs, Cynthia Forde, today made it clear that the Ministry was operating under the guidance of the Ministry of Health.
She said in a press release that her Ministry was acting on the advice of the public health officials within the Ministry of Health and Wellness, who have not recommended the programme’s closure.
Forde explained that, on the advice of the Acting Chief Medical Officer, the Ministry had closed the administrative office of the National Assistance Board (NAB) at Country Road, St. Michael, after five staff members stationed there tested positive for COVID-19 this month.
During Saturday's COVID-19 update press conference, Forde said that three of the five positive cases worked at the Country Road, St Michael office and two of the cases were senior home helpers.
In today's press release it stated that one worker in the Home Help Programme has tested positive and her source of contact was traced to an already identified case at the Head Office.
So far, 230 NAB employees have tested negative for the viral illness, out of a total of 236 completed tests.
Efforts are continuing to contact the remaining employees so that the testing process can be concluded as quickly as possible, she added.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: