Friday 17 November, 2017

Curfew reinstated for 'Lord Evil'

Andre “Lord Evil” Jackman's curfew has been reinstated.

A High Court judge today restored an original order which requires him to be off the street between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. daily and allowed his bail to continue.

Jackman, 37, of Stroud Bay, Crab Hill, St Lucy had appeared in court on Thursday charged with breaching the terms of his bail by being on the street around 11:45 p.m. on October 28.

The prosecution charged that Jackman violated his 9 p.m to 6 a.m. curfew and asked the court to exercise its discretion and revoke his bail based on Section 12, subsection 6 of the Bail Act.

The murder-accused had the original 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew attached to his $175,000 bail conditions in May 2016 but was given the extended curfew by Justice Jacqueline Cornelius, back in December 2016 to accommodate approaching wedding plans.

Attorney-at-law Arthur Holder made strong submissions in which he argued that given it was Jackman's first breach, a call for his bail to be revoked was “unfair”.

“The first time he breached you asking him to revoke his bail?...never in my 18 years of practice have I seen that you bring a man to court for a breach of one day,” Holder said in an interview last week. He made it clear that his client had complied with all conditions given to him from the first day until October 28.

Today, Holder told Loop News that his grounds were successful as the acting judge (Justice Alric Scott) “basically” agreed with his arguments.

“We have no problems at all [with the ruling]. The judge gave a reasoned and erudite ... decision based on what the law entails about the Bail Act,” he said.

Jackman and four others are jointly charged with the April 26, 2014 murder of Charly Dume.