Extra Extra! Teen Vogue dropping print edition from 2018
Condé Nast’s Teen Vogue will drop its quarterly print edition next year, becoming an online-only publication as part of a new round of cost cuts.
The cutbacks also will reduce the frequency of some of the company’s stalwart titles: GQ, Glamour, Allure and Architectural Digest, which had been publishing 12 issues a year, will drop to 11.
Sources have said that Condé Nast is aiming to chop costs an average of 20 percent across all brands and shave $100 million in costs. About 80 people will be cut across the board, insiders said, confirming news about the cutbacks and frequency reductions that was first reported on Thursday by Women’s Wear Daily.
Condé Nast declined to comment.
Only a handful to titles will keep their current frequency. Vanity Fair and Vogue will be the last two monthly magazines published by the company. Brides, which had been trimmed back to six times a year several years ago, will keep publishing six times a year and The New Yorker will continue to publish 47 issues a year.
Meanwhile, W and Condé Nast Traveler, which had already been reduced to ten issues a year will cut print back to eight issues. Bon Appetit, which had been doing 11 issues will roll back to 10.
The cutbacks also help explain the editorial upheavals inside the company, where Graydon Carter at Vanity Fair said he was retiring after 25 years and Cindi Leive days later said she was stepping down as editor in chief of Glamour after 16 years.
GQ editor in chief Jim Nelson has been lobbying Condé Nast artistic director Anna Wintour to move him to the helm of Vanity Fair, which so far has been immune to the print reductions.
There is no word yet on who will land the top jobs at either publication. Brides is also looking for a new editor. And in Thursday’s upheavals, Teen Vogue’s editor Elain Welteroth, who was overseeing print, seemed to be sidelined.
On the business side, Jim Norton, who was recruited from AOL to be the chief business officer and president of revenue unleashed a big reorganization that cut staff by 100 in January.
Last month, Norton himself was given the old heave-ho and replaced by Pamela Drucker Mann as the No. 2 executive in the company after CEO Bob Sauerberg.