Final victory for Rastafarian family
It has been a long court battle for Ras Ijuijah and Isatisabre but it has now officially come to a close.
Just this morning at a hearing at the Supreme Court, Justice Cecil McCarthy announced that the case will be dismissed as the family has been granted permission by the Ministry of Education for the two children to be homeschooled.
Attorney-at-law representing the family, Ajamu Boardi, told Loop News the Ministry of Education approved the family’s application to homeschool the now 12-year-old boy and nine-year-old girl earlier this month.
It was back in September 2016 when criminal charges were brought against the mother and father by the Ministry of Education for failing to register the two children into the school system. Education officials first became aware of this in 2013, when the children were nine and six years old. The case was finally dismissed by Magistrate Douglas Frederick in October when the legal team comprising of attorneys Ajamu Boardi, Andrew Pilgrim, Douglas Trotman and Sian Lange argued strongly that instances of prejudice were coming to light in the case.
But that was only half of the battle won. The CBB had filed a case with the High Court requesting that the children be made wards of the court on the basis that the parents were doing injury to the children by preventing them from attending school.
The matter was last adjourned on December 13, 2016 and during that time the African Heritage Foundation (AHF), the advocacy group representing the family, had been working to file the necessary documentation with the Ministry of Education to formalise the homeschooling activities of the two children.
Boardi said Ras Ijuijah was extremely relieved to have been vindicated in both the criminal and civil proceedings brought against him and his family. He also said they are working towards returning to a life of normalcy.
*Editor's Note: This article has been updated to clarify the date when the children's case first came to the attention of the authorities.