Sunday 26 May, 2019

Kartel’s appeal case ‘complicated’, says Wayne Marshall

Vybz Kartel

Vybz Kartel

While much of the local entertainment fraternity has already signed off on the expectation of a victory for incarcerated dancehall superstar, Vybz Kartel, in his pending appeal ruling by the courts, at least one colleague of his is taking a more measured approach to the ruling to come.

Related Article

Kartel was convicted in 2014 for the murder of his associate, Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams, and sentenced to life imprisonment with the possibility of parole after 35 years behind bars, by Justice Lennox Campbell after an 11 member panel of jurors found the deejay fellow artiste Shawn ‘Shawn Storm’ Campbell, Kahira Jones and Andre St John, all guilty of the murder.

After years of waiting on the outcome of the appeal, fellow entertainer, Wayne Marshall, while expressing a clear desire for the artiste’s conviction to be overturned, has indicated that that outcome is far from a foreground conclusion.

Marshall says the case is actually a complicated one and he has adopted a wait-and-see approach to the outcome of the pending ruling from the Jamaican Court of Appeal.

“It’s very complicated. The evidence was tampered with, but you never know what or how the persons who are going to make the ruling think,” Marshall told Loop News after his performance at the Appleton Rum Fest in Kingston recently.

“We will just have to wait and see,” Marshall elaborated on the matter.

Wayne Marshall (file photo)

Kartel was convicted mainly on evidence from a former associate who turned state witness and gave evidence, that he (the witness) and Williams were given two handguns to take care of by the entertainer.

The guns later went missing after they had been hidden, the witness said, which allegedly angered Kartel, who was said to have summoned both men to his Havendale, St Andrew home to give account for the loss.

It was then, the witness stated, that men beat Lizard to death and he (the witness) managed to escape by jumping a gate and scampering away.

Supporters of Kartel have called for his release because evidence was presented in court by defence attorneys that telephones which were seized from the entertainer by police investigators were tampered with while in the custody of the police.

Text messages and voice notes from the instruments were central to evidence from the prosecution that Kartel had made threats against the lives of the men over the loss of the guns.

The appeal court is expected to soon release its ruling on the matter.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: