This quick recipe from The Kitchen Sanctuary is a fail-safe take on a family favourite, ready in about 30 minutes.
Crispy Chicken Tenders with Garlic Chilli Dip
4 chicken breasts, sliced into long, thick strips
240ml (1 cup) buttermilk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp garlic salt
180g (1½ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp celery salt
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp chilli flakes
3 tbsp buttermilk
2 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp chopped coriander
Juice of half a lime
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 small garlic clove peeled and crushed
1 tsp sriracha
1. Place the chicken in a bowl. Add the buttermilk, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Mix together, cover and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 1 hour (up to over night)
2. Preheat the oven to a low heat (to keep cooked chicken warm). Heat a large pan of vegetable oil (or preheat your deep fat fryer) until hot (you can test by dropping a small cube of bread in there, if it rises immediately to the top and starts to bubble rapidly, it’s hot enough). You’ll need at least 1 litre (4 cups) of oil.
3. Mix together the crispy coating ingredients in a small bowl. Take the chicken out of the fridge. Lift a piece from the buttermilk and allow the excess to drip off. Dredge the chicken in the crispy coating mixture – ensuring it’s fully covered. Place on a tray and repeat until all of the chicken is coated.
4. Once the oil is hot enough, add in 5 or 6 of the chicken tenders. You can add more or less depending on the size of your pan, just be sure not to overcrowd the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and cooked in the middle. You can check this by cutting open a piece of chicken, if it’s no longer pink in the middle, it’s cooked.
5. Place on a tray in the oven to keep warm whilst you cook the rest of the chicken.
6. Mix together the dip ingredients and serve with the crispy chicken.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: