Thursday 22 August, 2019

Mother and daughter lose main source of income in City blaze

Mary Bonnett (white top) and Leandra Chase (black top) assessing damage from the blaze.

Mary Bonnett (white top) and Leandra Chase (black top) assessing damage from the blaze.

Two family businesses and three homes were involved in a blaze on King William Henry Street in Bridgetown on Sunday night. 

Loop News visited the community today where it was revealed by residents the fire started in a dilapidated house occupied by an elderly man. This is not the first time a fire has occurred at the house.

According to neighbours, back in 2016 a blaze had erupted there but residents were able to get it under control before it spread to other houses. Residents at the time had cautioned the elderly man to be more careful when using fire at the home which had no running water or electricity.  

 

 

Around 10:37 pm on Sunday, police and fire officials responded to reports of a house fire. One uninsured wooden house, belonging to the elderly man, was completely destroyed while the second house owned by Mr and Mrs Ervin Hinds was extensively damaged.  

Miracle Hair Salon belonging to Leandra Chase was also completely destroyed while apartments owned by her mother, Mary Bonnett, received extensive structural damage.  

Chase told Loop News she was working on her last client on Sunday night when she saw an orange flash which she initially thought were Christmas lights on her neighbour’s home.  

“Then I smelt some smoke and when I push open the door, I heard my neighbours screaming ‘fire’ and then when I looked across, I saw the fire and in like three minutes it was out of control.” 

Chase said she had been working out of the Nelson Street location for the last nine years and she considers this fire a major setback to her business. She said she is in the process of securing a temporary salon until she can get back on her feet.  

Meanwhile Bonnett told Loop News she is devastated that her only source of income, a four-unit apartment attached to the back of her home, has been snuffed out. Bonnett estimated it will take about $50,000 to rebuild the apartments and she is at a loss as to how the funds will be raised.  

She said she is grateful her tenants, one of whom is pregnant, were not injured in the blaze. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: