Tuesday 23 July, 2019

No Moment of Silence on September 3, lawsuit resumes

Next month families of the victims who died September 3, 2010, in the fire at Campus Trendz, may be one step closer to having their day in court.

Tuesday, October 4, the lawsuit filed against the perpetrators, the Attorney General as the representative of the Ministry of Labour and Barbados Fire Service, the store owner and the proprietor of the building will recommence.

News of this came from Attorney-at-Law and social activist, David Comissiong.

Comissiong, who is the Coordinator of the September 3rd Foundation, is representing some the families in the lawsuit. 

He told Loop News:

“It is case management so it’s just in Chambers before the judge.”

Furthermore, he explained that this is normal procedure for a civil case.

“You have to go through a case management process before a judge before you actually have the day in the court, the hearing in court.”

The proceedings are set to commence at 2:30pm.

In addition, Comissiong disclosed that tomorrow on September 3, in Hero’s Square, for the first time in six years since the Campus Trendz tragedy there will be no event to commemorate the lives lost.

Comissiong said, “We couldn’t get the location.”  

He explained that the Foundation did apply for the permission to host the event in the usual space and was told that another organization had already booked the Square.

However, he is making an appeal to Barbadians to still remember the six victims: Shanna Griffith, Kelly-Ann Welch, Pearl Cornelius, Kellishaw Olivierre, Nikita Belgrave and Tiffany Harding.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: