A quick recap of Barbados' track record at international beauty pageants
How have delegates from Barbados fared so far?
There is a new Miss Universe Barbados and her name is Shannon Harris. The 21-year-old model is signed to the international agency, Elite Model Management.
She becomes the 14th young Bajan to wear the crown, with Sharon Nightengale being crowned the first Miss Universe Barbados in 1976.
Since then, Barbados has sent representatives to the Miss Universe pageant in 1977 - 1979, 1984 - 1987, 1999, 2003 - 2005 and 2007.
However, Barbados is yet to crack the final stages of that international competition. Other Caribbean countries have seen greater success, with Miss Trinidad Universe, Wendy Fitzwilliam, winning the coveted crown in 1998. Miss Jamaica Universe Yendi Phillips was first runner-up in 2010, while in more recent times, Miss Jamaica Universe 2014, Kaci Fennell finished in the top five.
- Linda Fields- Miss Barbados World 1974 made it to the top ten of the contest in England, by placing eighth overall.
- Stephanie Chase - Miss Barbados World 2001 wooed the judges with her voice to win the inaugural Miss World Talent Award when the contest was held in South Africa.
- Kennifer Marius - Miss Barbados World 2004 placed third in the talent segment of the competition that year.
- Natalie Griffith - Miss Barbados World 2008 represented the island in South Africa and won the Miss World Talent Award.
- Leah Marville - Miss Barbados World 2009 won a range of prizes at the pageant in South Africa. She was the People’s Choice and was second in the Miss World Beauty with a Purpose category. She also came away with the Continental Queen Award for the region, as the highest-placed Caribbean delegate.
- Zoé Trotman - Miss Barbados World 2014 was voted as the People’s Choice, when she represented the island in London.