Friday 3 April, 2020

UPDATE: Tears flow as murder victim's girlfriend gives testimony

A red toolbox, a blue pick-up truck, a lifeless body and a lonely road blocked by boulders are all that's left to tell the tragic story of how Jason Husbands lost his life.

On trial, accused for his murder, is Kason Kemar Edwards, 40, from Gays, St. Peter.  The incident occurred on August 21, 2012, at Lamberts, St. Lucy. Husbands was 32 years old at the time of his death.

Related Article

The murder trial is being heard in the Supreme Court before Justice Randall Worrell. Prosecuting is Principal Crown Counsel Alliston Seale while lawyer Arthur Holder is representing Edwards. The prosecution alleges that Husbands was travelling along Lamberts, St. Lucy when he noticed part of the road was blocked with rocks. It is alleged that he got out to move the rocks when he was shot to death. No one was arrested until two years later.

Inconsolable at some points, Sharon Boyce, the girlfriend of the deceased, was the first to take the witness stand.

Boyce and Husbands lived together and shared a 13-year-old daughter.

Both worked at Courts (Barbados) Ltd. and were on holiday together at the time. Boyce recalled how the day began - she said her boyfriend cooked pelau and after a conversation, he left the house. Husbands, who Boyce said was in high spirits, took his red toolbox and placed it in his vehicle.

Though she could not recall what he was wearing, she said it was around early afternoon.

It was sometime later that she said she received a message - Jason was dead. 

[related node_id='e456b511-2556-4797- addb -b9cf55d149f7']

At this point, Boyce had to sit to continue her testimony.

She said she knew it was a gun that took the life of Husbands.

Two years later was when police called Boyce to the police station. There, she said she identified the toolbox and also said a man was in the station. She pointed to Edwards as being that man. Boyce had initialled the box which is red with what appears to be a silver lock and handle.

The next witness to take the stand was Jason Johnson. Johnson worked at the Sanitation Service Authority back in 2012. On August 21, 2012, Johnson said he was travelling with his daughter and brother when he encountered a van in the road. The van was parked in the "s-bend" in Lamberts. He blew the horn twice but the van did not move. Johnson walked towards the van when he saw a body on the ground. He said he turned back towards his car, got inside and called the police. 

The case continued today at 9:00 a.m.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: