Barbados passport most powerful in Caribbean still
Barbados' passport remains the strongest in the Caribbean.
With biometrics being incorporated into the new design for Barbados' e-passports soon, there is hope that in the future the additional security features can increase the strength of our passport.
Trinidad and Tobago once again has the Caribbean's fifth most powerful passport, according to the 2018 Henley Passport Index.
Barbados maintained first place in the Caribbean, placing 21st on the list, followed by the Bahamas (23rd), St Kitts and Nevis (26th) and Antigua and Barbuda at 27th place.
Trinidad and Tobago increased by two spots compared to its 2017 ranking, placing 30th in this year's list. The country also ranked fifth in the Caribbean in the 2017 list.
St Lucia also showed the largest growth, leaping five spots from 36th place in 2017 to 31st place in 2018.
Guyana also improved by two spots from 59th place in 2017 to 57th place in 2018.
First place went to Japan, which has the most powerful passport worldwide, followed by Singapore at second, and France, Germany and South Korea in third place.
In fourth place were Denmark, Finland, Italy, Spain and Sweden, followed by the UK, USA, Austria, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway and Portugal at fifth place.
Placing last on the list again were Afghanistan and Iraq.
The Caribbean rankings are as follows:
1. 21st - Barbados (visa-free access to 161 destinations)
2. 23rd - Bahamas (visa-free access to 155 destinations)
3. 26th - St Kitts & Nevis (visa-free access to 151 destinations)
4. 27th - Antigua and Barbuda (visa-free access to 150 destinations)
5. 30th - Trinidad and Tobago (visa-free access to 147 destinations)
6. 31st - St Lucia (visa-free access to 146 destinations)
7. 32nd - St Vincent & the Grenadines (visa-free access to 145 destinations)
8. 33rd - Grenada (visa-free access to 144 destinations)
9. 37th - Dominica (visa-free access to 137 destinations)
10. 61st - Jamaica (visa-free access to 84 destinations)
11. 75th - Dominica Republic (visa-free access to 66 destinations)
12. 76th - Cuba (visa-free access to 65 destinations)
13. 89th - Haiti (visa-free access to 52 destinations)
The Henley Passport Index is a ranking of all the passports of the world according to the number of countries their holders can travel to visa-free. The ranking is based on exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which maintains the world’s largest and most comprehensive database of travel information, and is enhanced by extensive in-house research.
With the Henley Passport Index, citizens can assess where they lie on the spectrum of global mobility and discover how to maximize their travel freedom through citizenship-by-investment.
Along with the Henley & Partners – Kochenov Quality of Nationality Index, the Henley Passport Index is considered the most credible reference tool within the investment migration industry.
For the full list see here: https://bit.ly/2MnKTS9
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop