UPDATE: COVID-19 cases in Antigua & Barbuda rise to 19, 2 deaths
Prime Minister Gaston Browne is urging the people of Antigua and Barbuda to adhere to the regulations put in place to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
His urgent plea came on the heels of news that a second patient had succumbed to COVID-19, just hours after the first virus-related death was announced.
The first patient, a 47-year-old man, died hours after he was first admitted to the Mount St John’s Medical Centre, on Saturday, April 4.
Chief Medical Officer Rhonda Sealey-Thomas said he was being treated for diabetes, but was also suspected of having COVID-19 because of the way he presented.
Medical Director of Mount St John’s, Albert Duncan said the man arrived at the hospital in critical condition after having a cough and experiencing weakness for two days.
He said: “This young man had quite a few comorbidities which would make management of this COVID virus very, very difficult and also very serious.”
Just hours after his passing was announced Prime Minister Gaston Browne shared via Facebook that another patient had succumbed to the virus.
To date, more than 50 people in Antigua and Barbuda have been tested for the virus. Three of the 19 confirmed cases are healthcare workers, 12 had travel history.
Health officials say at least four of the positive cases are associated with travel to Montserrat for St Patrick’s Day last month.
At present 90 people are being housed in government quarantine facilities and 225 are in self-quarantine.