Jamaica records whopping 141 new COVID-19 cases within 24 hours
Within the last 24 hours into Friday afternoon, 141 new confirmed COVID-19 cases were recorded in Jamaica.
The new cases bring the total number on record for the island to 2,011.
Over the same period, recoveries increased by 42, bringing total recoveries to 888 (a 44.2 per cent recovery rate).
The country is now managing 1,032 (51.3 per cent) active cases nationally, including 12 moderately ill patients and four critically ill patients.
Some 71 cases that were recorded in Jamaica have returned to their countries of origin.
Of the newly confirmed cases, there are 86 females and 55 males, with ages ranging from 40 days to 97 years.
The cases were recorded in Kingston and St Andrew (87), St Catherine (26), Manchester (eight), St James (seven), St Thomas (eight) Portland (three), St Elizabeth (one), and Trelawny (one).
Six of the new cases are contacts of confirmed cases, one is a local transmission not epidemiologically linked, while the remaining 134 cases are under investigation.
Jamaica now has 444 imported cases; 571 cases that are contacts of confirmed cases; 189 local transmission cases not epidemiologically linked; 236 cases related to the workplace cluster in St Catherine, and 571 cases are under investigation.
Females account for 55 per cent (1,108) of all the confirmed cases, while the remaining 45 per cent (903) are males. They range in age from 40 days to 97 years.
Seven persons of interest are in state quarantine, while some 28,963 persons of interest are quarantined at home.
In its daily release, the Ministry of Health and Wellness urged members of the public to be vigilant in the practice of infection prevention and control measures to guard against the spread of COVID-19. The measures include frequent washing of hands with soap and water; maintaining the prescribed six-foot physical distance from others; and wearing a mask when in public.
Visitors to the island and returning residents are reminded that they must comply with quarantine orders.