Central districts of Barbados under flash flood warning
Pedestrians and motorists travelling in the central districts of Barbados have been warned that a flash flood warning in effect for those areas.
The warning is valid from 12pm and will be terminated at 6pm or sooner if conditions permit.
Localised convection has already resulted in one to two inches of rainfall over central districts of the island. Further accumulation of 30.0 to 75.0 mm in heavy showers are expected as the afternoon progresses.
Residents and visitors should be prepared for the following possibilities:
- Significant runoff from higher elevations.
- Significant soil erosion is likely on exposed is likely on exposed or scarred land surfaces.
- Large water settlements on roads and fields.
- Significant adjustments to water levels of existing water bodies (ponds etc.)
- Significant delays on traffic routes with some roads possibly impassable.
- Large objects or debris from higher elevations may also become embedded within fast-moving water flows.
- Significant flooding at the foot hillsides and coastal roads is possible.