UPDATE: Flash flood and severe thunderstorm warning discontinued
[Update: 9 am, September 14]
The flash flood and severe thunderstorm warning has been discontinued for Barbados.
[Original story: 12:50 pm, September 13]
Flash flood warning for northern districts of Barbados
A flash flood warning and a severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for the north-western and northern districts of the island from 10:45 am and will be terminated at 6 pm or sooner if conditions warrant.
Maximum rainfall accumulations of 50.0 to 75.0 mm and possibly isolated higher amounts in heavy to violent showers are imminent as well as severe lightning activity associated with scattered thunderstorms.
The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) has advised residents to expect severe lightning activity in the near future or near your location and increased likelihood of power outages if lightning strikes power utility infrastructure.
Additionally, residents and visitors should note that the following impacts are imminent during this forecast period :
- Strong runoff from higher elevations.
- Soil erosion is likely on bared or scarred land surfaces.
- Debris such as small rocks, mud and tree foliage could end up on roads and property.
- Traffic delays are likely.
- Flooding at the foot of hillsides and coastal roads is possible.