5 Facts about the new coronavirus
The novel coronavirus outbreak is being shrouded in myths and rumours.
Knowing the facts is currently the best way to combat the spread of this disease and reduce panic.
Video from PAHO/WHO on how COVID-19 spreads
Here are five quick facts about the disease.
- The novel coronavirus is named coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19, not simply coronavirus.
- The virus which is causing the coronavirus disease 2019 is SARS CoV-2 coronavirus.
- For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough.
- For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.
- The vast majority of people recover from the new virus. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), people with mild illness recover in about two weeks, while those with more severe illness may take three to six weeks to recover. In mainland China, where the virus first exploded, more than 127,000 people have been diagnosed and more than 68,000 have so far recovered.
Keep checking credible sites.