Barbados COVID-19 cases stand at 26 as of March 27, 1 pm
The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Barbados now stands at 26.
These are the latest figures provided by the Minister of Health Lt Col Jeffrey Bostic, as of Friday, March 27, 2020, at 1 pm.
Bostic made the disclosure from the floor of Parliament earlier today. He said the Ministry conducted a further 26 tests for COVID-19 on Thursday and two persons were confirmed positive. So far Barbados has conducted some 234 tests overall.
The cases were up to 24 persons when Prime Minister, Mia Mottley delivered a national address on Thursday, March 26, announcing the implementation of an island-wide curfew to start on Saturday, March 28, 2020.
One of the newest confirmed cases is a Barbadian, the Health Minister revealed.
“As a result of those tests, two more positive cases have been identified taking us now to 26. One of those is a 65-year-old Barbadian who had travelled to the United States and returned. That person is now in isolation and contact tracing has begun. We are moving aggressively to be able to identify, locate and treat those contacts. [...] The other person, I am awaiting further information on that individual.”
Minister Bostic said this was the highest number of COVID-19 tests conducted by health officials locally in any one day so far, and the Ministry intends to continue testing as many persons as possible.
“We will be doing more and more [tests] because it is very important for us to be able to do so. I thank the Honourable Prime Minister for making the resources available to the Ministry to purchase kits. This now puts us in the position to test several more persons.”
Up to noon the number of confirmed cases for the COVID-19 virus in the Caribbean region stood at 1,095 persons.