COVID-19 support hotline setup for donors to pledge, contribute
Barbadians are being asked to step up and help the less fortunate and those in need through this COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19 Czar Richard Carter in a press conference last evening (March 21) called on not only members of corporate Barbados but all persons in a position to donate to do so.
He told the public:
"Corporate Barbados and the wider Barbadian public and friends of Barbados are invited to come forward and support the Adoption of Our Families Programme, which is one of the components that has been identified by the Prime Minister.
"There is a dedicated WhatsApp number (246) 255-1000, where members of the corporate community, members of the wider Barbadian public, friends of Barbados who are resident here can WhatsApp their intent or their willingness to support vulnerable families."
He said that already they have received offers of support "both of materials and as well as cash to support the response or elements of the response."
Carter stressed that in light of the Prime Minister speaking about Barbados putting together a BBD $20 million initiative to see the country through these harsh financial times as unemployment figures climb, they are not sitting by idly, "We are already moving to put into action the measures that have been outlined in relation to that programme."
In her address from the floor of Parliament (March 20) as she wrapped up the Estimates debate, Prime Minister Mia Mottley said that huge donations have come from Robyn Rihanna Fenty, Sagicor and Unicomer to name a few so far.