Flash flood and severe thunderstorm warning in effect for Barbados
A flash flood and severe thunderstorm warning is in effect for Barbados from 7 pm until 11 pm or sooner if conditions warrant.
The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) has forecasted maximum rainfall accumulations of 20.0 to 50 mm in heavy showers during the first half of the night. Additionally, severe lightning activity associated with scattered thunderstorms.
Residents and visitors should note that the following impacts are imminent during this forecast period:
- Significant runoff from high elevations.
- Significant soil erosion is likely on exposed or scarred land surfaces.
- Large water settlements on roads and fields.
- Significant adjustments to water levels of existing water bodies (ponds, etc.)
- Significant delays on traffic routes with some roads possibly impassable.
- Large objects of debris from higher elevations may also become embedded within fast-moving water flows.
- Significant flooding at the foot of hillsides and coastal roads is possible.
- Increase in power outages if lightning strikes power utility infrastructure.