Met Office: Flash flood warning issued for Barbados
A flash flood warning is in effect for Barbados from 7.50 am this morning.
The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) issues a flash flood warning when flooding due to heavy excessive rainfall in a short period of time is occurring or imminent.
The BMS has advised residents and visitors to prepare for the following possibilities:
- Significant runoff from higher elevations.
- Significant soil erosion is likely on exposed or scarred land surfaces.
- Large water settlements on roads and fields.
- Significant adjustments to water levels of existing water bodies (ponds etc.)
- Significant delays on traffic routes with some roads possibly impassable.
- Large objects or debris from higher elevations may also become embedded within fast-moving water flows.
- Significant flooding at the foot of hillsides and coastal roads is possible.
Residents are advised to stay off the road if they can and to monitor radio or television stations for updates from the BMS, Department of Emergency Management and official sources.