Flash-flood watch in effect for Barbados
A flash flood watch is in effect for Barbados until 6 am, Sunday, August 9.
It could end sooner if conditions warrant or be extended.
The Barbados Meteorological Services (BMS) has also warned of severe lightning activity associated with thunderstorms. Residents have been cautioned that there is an increased likelihood of power outages if lightning strikes power utility infrastructure.
Maximum rainfall accumulations of 25.0 to 50.0 mm in moderate to heavy showers are anticipated.
Residents and visitors have been advised by the BMS to prepare for the following possibilities if the alert level elevates to red.
- Significant runoff from higher elevations.
- Significant soil erosion is likely on exposed or scarred land surfaces.
- Large water settlements on roads and fields.
- Significant adjustments to water levels of existing water bodies (ponds etc.).
- Significant delays on traffic routes with some roads possibly impassable.
- Large objects or debris from higher elevations may also become embedded within fast-moving water flows.
- Significant flooding at the foot of hillsides and coastal roads is possible.