SUNday FUNday: Explore Barbados for less than $15
Transport Board buses in Barbados (FILE)
Barbados, the Gem of the Caribbean, is an island with much to see, smell, taste and enjoy without breaking the bank to do so.
Public transportation fees in Barbados are under USD $2! That's even better than in NYC.
Bus fare in Barbados is one price per trip regardless of the distance. If you're from the US, think New York not Washington DC. For just BBD $3.50 (USD $1.75) you can leave place A and get to destination B. The government has spoken about incorporating transfers into the Transport Board (big blue bus) system but that has not been implemented yet. Bajans are still hopeful.
In light of COVID-19, and Prime Minister Mia Mottley even calling on Bajans to play tourist in the paradise that is their home, Loop Lifestyle will make some recommendations every Sunday under this tag SUNday FUNday.
This week, Loop just wants you to understand how to get to the destinations it will suggest in ther future, but for the lowest cost.
The Bypass or cross country buses are your BBFF (Best Bus Friends Forever).
If you usually drive, you can put down your car keys for a Sunday or two or a few, or you can drive to the terminal and park your vehicle there, then hop on the bus.
Here are the most important five bus routes for a tourist or local playing tourist to know:
1. ABC Highway bus - Oistins to Speightstown Express via the two major highways
2. Oistins/Speightstown - The original bypass bus which goes along the South coast, across Black Rock and down the West Coast or Platinum Coast through Holetown to Speightstown
Fairchild Street Terminal
3. Warrens - This cross country bus will take you to Welches in St Thomas (Cost U Less) from the country's capital city of Bridgetown
4. Speightstown Loop - This bus is like a Speightstown Circle from Speightstown in St Peter to Welches in St Thomas and back.
Princess Alice Highway Terminal
5. St Lucy buses - All these buses pass through Speightstown - Josey Hill, Pie Corner, Connelltown etc.
Loop Lifestyle said travel for under BBD $15 (USD $7.50) because in most cases, people will need to take a bus to the terminal first and then embark upon their exploration, if not this article could have been called 'Exploring Barbados for under $8 (USD $4)!'